Characteristics of Art Clay Gold Paste
- Art Clay Gold Paste is in a viscous liquid form, so that you can texture to the surface and draw on a surface of Art Clay Silver (fired piece), ceramic, porcelain and/or glass.
- 77.5% of indicated weight is 24K gold, and it becomes 22K gold after firing.
- This product is water based and can dry up, so always keep the container tightly capped. If it is dries up, add an appropriate amount of water to recover its original state.
- If you need to build the Gold layers more than 0.5mm in thickness, fire the piece first, and then build another layer on top of the fired gold area. Repeat until reaching your desired thickness.
- The surface of the fired area where Gold Paste was applied will be matte in color due to crystallization, but a luster can be obtained by polishing.
- Do not polish gold overlaid area on the glazed surface too hard, as it may chip off with the glazed surface. Polishing the area with light gliding stroke is enough bring out the shine. If the Gold area chips off during polishing, it is possible to attach it with Art Clay Silver Overlay Silver Paste*. *Requires second firing to attach.
- Art Clay Gold Paste: 1.5 gram / bottle with Medium* bottle: 5 ml.
- Some gold settling may occur at bottom of the jar. Stir the paste well with a skewer or metal spatula before use.
*Medium bottle is used to dilute Art Clay Gold Paste for a lighter gold color on fired Art Clay Silver surfaces, ceramics, porcelain and glass.
How to dilute the paste
- To dilute the paste, take out the necessary amount and place in in a separate container. Then, add necessary amount of water or medim depending on your desired finished gold color.
- Recommended ratio for diluting the Gold Paste with the medium is 3 (Gold Paste) : 1 (Medium).
- Clean the surface of the porcelain , glass or ceramic with a alcohol, or soap and water to remove dust or oil. They may disturb Gold Paste attaching on the surface
- Prepare a paintbrush specifically for use of the Gold Paint.
For painting on ceramic, porcelain or glass surface
It is recommended to have diluted Gold Paste with the medium
For painting on a fired Art Clay Silver surface
Use undiluted paste and apply the Gold Paste on a matte surface. If you would like to apply Gold Paste on a polished silver surface, fire the silver piece in a kiln for 30 minutes at 700℃/1292°F to make a matte surface first and then apply.
*Thickness of the application needs to be less than 0.5mm thick per layer. If you use undiluted paste on a glass or thick glazed porcelain surface, the painted area may sink due to gold weight.
The applied paste must be dried completely before firing. Dry in the following ways.
- Hair dryer: At least 5 minutes with a 1200w hair dryer. Place the dryer within 10cm/ 3 inches from the piece.
- Natural / air dry: At least 15 minutes.
- Hair dryer: At least 30 minutes with a 1200w hair dryer. Place the dryer within 10cm/ 3 inches from the piece.
- Drying diluted paint must be dried by hot air or heat.
*Please refer the instruction sheet enclosed in the product.
- Ventilate your workroom well during firing.
- When drying and baking, take care not to get burned or start a fire.
- Keep this product out of the reach of children.
- If you get any of this product in your eyes or mouth, flush immediately with plenty of water and call your physician.
- Avoid contact with your skin. If skin irritation or itching occurs, wash with water and consult your doctor immediately.
- Do not place a ceramic or porcelain piece that has the Overlay Silver Paste applied into a microwave oven.
- Keep this product indoors out of direct sunlight.
- Do NOT keep in a refrigerator.
- Use it soon after opening.